What to Do After a Car Crash in Fort Worth
Our car accident lawyers can help with your insurance claim
If you've been in a car accident, it's natural to feel upset, confused, and even angry. You might find that you or a loved one has been injured. Your car might be totaled. However, potentially serious car accidents happen every day in Fort Worth, Dallas, Arlington, and throughout Texas. People are hurt in rear-end accidents, head-on collisions and T-bone collisions. Even accidents that appear to be "minor" could turn into so much more when not taken seriously by accident victims.
The decisions you make immediately following your accident could impact your life for weeks, months, or even years to come. There are many issues to consider during such a chaotic time. That's why Fort Worth car accident attorney Coby L. Wooten has come up with a list of suggested steps to take after a car accident to help you get through the first part of what might be a difficult process.
- Call the police and try to get them to come to the scene even if they think you were in a minor accident. While some car accident injuries may appear insignificant, many accidents have a way of becoming "major" once the injuries are fully known. The police can keep the scene safe and make sure everyone who is injured gets medical attention. They can also document the accident by completing an accident report.
- Take pictures of the damage to all vehicles and (if possible) of the location of where all vehicles came to rest immediately after the accident. Also take pictures of skid marks.
- Get all identification and insurance information. But don’t talk about who caused the crash.
- If injured, go to an emergency room or some other qualified trauma specialist. Get medical attention even if you feel OK. You could have an injury that is not yet showing any symptoms. A doctor can diagnose your injuries and begin treatment. A doctor can also document your injuries.
- When you get a chance, write down your account of how the accident happened while your memories of it are still fresh.
- Contact an experienced Fort Worth car accident attorney.
- Contact your own insurance company to inform them you’ve been in an accident. But just stick to the facts. If you are contact by the other driver’s insurance company, politely decline to answer any questions or give a statement. Explain that you would like to get legal advice first. Then call us.
We're ready to protect your rights. Contact attorney Coby L. Wooten today
A driver who was speeding, driving recklessly or texting behind the wheel may have caused the accident that left you injured. But whether you were involved in a rear-end accident, head-on collision or another type of crash, recovering financial compensation can be difficult. Negligent drivers typically deny doing anything wrong and refuse to accept responsibility for what happened. This puts you in the position of having to prove negligence.
Don’t expect help from the insurance companies. Their goal is to pay you as little as possible. They may question the seriousness of your injuries or argue that they were pre-existing. They may blame you for causing the accident. A common tactic is to offer you a settlement – one that falls far short of covering the damages you suffered.
That’s why you need an experienced Fort Worth car accident attorney on your side. Our firm investigates your crash. Our legal team gathers evidence, carefully reviews accident reports and medical records and interviews witnesses about what they way. As needed, we consult accident reconstruction experts and other specialists.
Our lawyers build strong cases that insurance companies have to take seriously. We fight back against attempts to minimize your claim. We determine the total damages you suffered, including current and future medical expenses for treating your injuries, lost wages if you couldn’t work and other damages such as pain and suffering.
Experienced legal representation that gets results
Then we fight for the financial compensation you deserve. Many times, we are able to negotiate a settlement that meets your needs. But if the insurance company won’t agree to a settlement that works for you, we’ll be prepared to fight for you in court.
It’s important to get legal advice as soon as possible following your accident. Texas law gives you two years from the date of the crash to take legal action. That sounds like you have plenty of time. But as time goes by, evidence gets lost or destroyed. Witnesses forget important details. The sooner we can get started on your case, the better.
Serious legal matters require serious legal representation from a car accident attorney in Fort Worth. Attorney Wooten gives honest answers to difficult questions. That's because he's focused on what really matters: getting people the compensation they deserve for their injuries. We don’t use case managers. Our lawyers work on each case personally.
Case results matter here - and so do you. Put more than 30 years of personal injury litigation experience to work for you. Contact Coby L. Wooten, Attorney at Law, P.C., today. Call (866) 408-0940 to schedule an appointment at our Fort Worth office. Serving families in Fort Worth, Dallas, Arlington and throughout Texas. A personal injury lawyer in Fort Worth can help you.