Motorists can do their part to keep bikers safe
Motorcyclists in Texas face unique dangers when taking to our roads and highways, and one organization is leading the fight to keep them safe. The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) has launched its "Share the Road: Look Twice for Motorcycles" campaign to increase awareness among drivers and reduce the number of motorcycle accidents and fatalities on Texas roads. As part of this campaign, TxDOT has released a set of safety tips for drivers to help prevent motorcycle accidents.
Nationally, Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month is observed in May, highlighting the importance of looking for bikers and avoiding reckless driving habits that put motorcyclists at risk. The timing of this month-long campaign coincides with the beginning of the riding season in many parts of the country. The statewide and national awareness campaigns serve as important reminders for drivers to remain vigilant and share the road with motorcyclists.
Why is it important for drivers to be aware of bikers?
According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), on average, one motorcyclist dies in a crash on Texas roads every day. In 2022 alone, 562 riders died, and 2,422 were seriously injured in motorcycle wrecks.
A major factor contributing to the high rate of motorcycle accidents in Texas is drivers' lack of awareness and visibility of motorcycles on the road.
TxDOT urges drivers to:
- Look out for motorcycles when making a left turn. Failure to look for motorcycles when making a left turn is a common cause of motorcycle accidents, as drivers may misjudge the distance and speed of the bike and turn in front of it.
- Don't overlook motorcyclists when approaching or going through intersections. Intersections are a common site for motorcycle accidents, as drivers may not see motorcycles entering or crossing the intersection.
- Give driving your full attention and avoid distractions like cell phones. Distracted driving is a major cause of all types of accidents, including motorcycle accidents. Drivers who are texting, talking on the phone, or otherwise distracted are more likely to overlook bikers.
- Look twice for motorcycles when changing lanes or merging. Bikers can be hard to see, and drivers may not realize that a motorcycle is in their blind spot or approaching when changing lanes or merging onto the highway.
- Give bikers plenty of room when passing, and never share a lane with a motorcycle. Drivers should give motorcycles plenty of room when passing and never try to share a lane with a motorcycle, as this can be dangerous.
- Stay back and maintain a safe following distance. Motorcyclists can slow down quickly, and drivers following too closely may not have enough time to react, leading to rear-end collisions and other crashes.
- Obey posted speed limits. Speeding is a major cause of all accidents, including motorcycle wrecks. Drivers who are speeding may not have enough time to react to avoid a collision.
- Drive to conditions. Drivers should adjust their driving to the current conditions, including weather, road conditions, and traffic.
By following these safety tips, drivers can do their part to reduce motorcycle accidents and fatalities on Texas roads.
Common motorcycle accident injuries
Motorcycle accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, some of which can be severe and long-lasting. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), bone fractures in the legs are among the most frequent injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents.
Other common motorcycle injuries include:
- Road rash
- Head and neck injuries
- Facial injuries
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Chest and abdominal injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Hand and arm injuries
- Muscle injuries
- Concussions and other traumatic brain injuries
The cost of treating motorcycle accident injuries can quickly add up, leaving victims with substantial medical bills, lost wages, and other financial burdens. An experienced attorney can help victims and their families navigate the complex legal process and work to secure compensation to cover these losses.
Contact a Fort Worth, TX motorcycle accident lawyer
At Colby L. Wooten, Attorney at Law, P.C., we are committed to protecting the legal rights of injured motorcyclists. We understand the challenges victims face in the aftermath of a motorcycle wreck involving negligence and are dedicated to providing compassionate, effective, and experienced legal representation to help them through this difficult time.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident in Fort Worth, TX, don't hesitate to contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation. We will fight for the compensation you deserve.