Personal Injury Lawyer Fort Worth Texas

Texas Young Driver Death Toll Tops Nation

Teen male driver behind the wheel of a car with a serious expression on his face.

A Fort Worth car accident lawyer provides the details

Young drivers between the ages of 15 and 20 were involved in 4,278 fatal car accidents in Texas from 2010 to 2019, according to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System. That’s nearly 15.5% more than second-place California, which recorded 3,617 deaths, and a little over 25.71% more than Florida, with 3,178 fatalities.

Nationwide, fatal accidents claimed the lives of 41,187 young drivers over the last decade. Tragically, Texas accounted for more than 10.3% of the country’s toll.

Young driver crash statistics

Even a bit of good news in the statistics is not very good news. Over the course of the decade, Texas recorded a 5% drop in fatalities among younger people. But that is far below the national decrease of 14%. In Texas, young drivers were involved in 14% of fatal accidents, slightly higher than the national rate of 13%.

Overall, the nation saw 29,227 young people die in crashes from 2010-2019. Young drivers accounted for 62% of the deaths, with the other 38% of victims being passengers. The largest share of fatalities – 19% – came in the 25- to 24-year-old age group.

In addition, insurance rates for younger drivers in Texas skyrocketed an almost unbelievable 298% after a single accident, compared to the national increase of 253%. The average annual Texas policy that cost $2,653 in 2010 was an equally unbelievable $10,561 in 2019.

Texas safe driving tips

As part of its “Be Safe, Drive Smart” campaign, the Texas Department of Transportation advises:

  • Be courteous to other drivers, no matter how rudely they behave.
  • Always wear your seat belt. That means all riders, including passengers in the front and back seat.
  • Avoid distractions. Focus on safe driving, even if it means turning off your phone. Never text and drive.
  • Slow down when driving conditions are bad due to weather, obstacles, heavy traffic, or other potential hazards.
  • Obey all traffic signs and signals.
  • Pass other vehicles only when it is both legal and safe to do so.
  • Never drive after drinking alcohol or using drugs, including medications and prescriptions that can cause drowsiness.
  • Slow down and move over for vehicles with flashing lights.

Protecting the rights of crash victims in Fort Worth

If you have been injured in an accident in the Fort Worth area that was not your fault, you have recourse through the civil justice system. You have the right to seek compensation for your losses, including but not limited to your medical bills, lost wages, replacement services, and your pain and suffering.

The problem is auto insurance companies are financially motivated to pay crash victims as little money as possible and will do everything in their power to accomplish that goal.

Coby L. Wooten, Attorney at Law protects the rights of Fort Worth crash victims and fights for the compensation they're entitled to. Attorney Wooten is a Fort Worth native, and he is dedicated to holding negligent drivers accountable for their reckless actions.

Discover what an experienced Fort Worth car accident attorney can do for you. Contact us today for a free consultation. You pay nothing unless we win your case.

Categories: Posts
Coby L. Wooten Attorney at Law, P.C.

1301 Ballinger St. #100
Fort Worth, TX 76102

Toll Free: 877-960-1279
Local: 817-502-9284

Meetings outside of Fort Worth are available by appointment.

Map & Directions
Free Case Consultation