A car accident lawyer in Fort Worth reveals the reasons why
Interstate 20 (I-20) in Tarrant County, Texas, ranks No. 8 among the 100 most dangerous roads in the United States, according to an insurance company study that examined crash data from 2015 to 2019. Sadly, Texas is overrepresented in the findings, with 15 roads making the deadly list, trailing only Florida (17) and ahead of California (11).
The major east-west highway runs 636 miles east from near Kent through the Dallas-Fort Worth region, where it is better known as the Ronald Reagan Memorial Highway, to Waskom near the Louisiana border. Other Texas roads making the Top 10 for dangerous roads are Interstate 10 in El Paso County and Interstate 35 in Travis County.
Danger on I-20
Statistics show I-20 has a fatality rate of 105.6 per 100 car accidents. But look no further than the headlines for evidence of the dangers.
A few recent examples include:
- Someone driving a pickup truck died Oct. 7, 2021, while driving the wrong way – eastbound on westbound I-20 near 300 W. in Fort Worth.
- A 57-year-old Fort Worth man died July 19, 2021, when his 2020 Kia Sorento struck the back of a parked 18-wheeler on the shoulder between the 501 Exit ramp to State Highway 34 and the lanes of traffic.
- Eight people were hospitalized after a major crash involving three vehicles near Farm-to-Market Road 429 in Terrell on Aug. 28, 2021. Police say a pickup truck rear-ended a Kia Optima, causing the truck to go airborne and strike a Chevy Equinox.
- Most frighteningly, nine people were killed and dozens injured in a 133-car pileup during freezing weather on Feb. 11, 2021, in Dallas-Fort Worth.
Why are there so many bad accidents on I-20?
I-20 connects with nearly every other highway in the state, creating a confusing nightmare even for experienced and careful drivers. Besides congestion, other factors include:
- Faster vehicles mean more serious injuries, as well as less time to brake or safely maneuver through traffic and around obstacles.
- Poor infrastructure and maintenance. Government agencies must accept responsibility for inadequate road design, failure to make improvements, and poor road maintenance.
- Bad weather. As noted by the Feb. 11 crash, local highway departments are not equipped to deal with adverse weather. And most local drivers lack the necessary skills.
- Driver behavior. It ranges from distracted drivers who are texting and talking on their phones, inexperienced drivers, tailgaters, driver fatigue, operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and general carelessness.
Protecting yourself after an accident
If you have been injured in an accident on I-20 in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, you can learn your legal rights and options by contacting our law firm. Attorney Coby L. Wooten has years of experience helping Texans seek the justice and financial compensation they deserve. He and his team will take care of the legal details, like standing up to the insurance companies, while you focus on your energy on your recovery.
We also represent crash victims on contingency. That means there is no upfront money required to retain our services, and you don't pay us anything unless we make a financial recovery in your case.
See what an experienced Fort Worth car accident lawyer can do for you and contact us today. The initial consultation is free.